(Ottawa, ON) — Hundreds of First Nations leaders, Elders and Knowledge Keepers, women, youth and other delegates are set to gather December 3-5, 2019 for the Assembly of First Nations (AFN) Special Chiefs Assembly (SCA) taking place at the Westin Hotel on unceded territory of the Algonquin Nation in Ottawa, Ontario.
Chiefs and delegates will gather under the theme “Honouring Promises” to assess progress, set priorities and strategic direction for the coming year. The Assembly will hear from Ministers in the new federal cabinet and federal and provincial leaders.
A full agenda is on the AFN website and will continue to be updated. Highlights include:
Day 1 – Tuesday December 3, 2019
- 8:30 a.m. – Grand Entry
- 10:30 a.m. – AFN National Chief Perry Bellegarde Opening Address.
- 12:00 p.m. – National Chief Press Conference (onsite)
- 1:00 p.m. – Honourable John Horgan, Premier of BC
- 1:30 p.m. – Honourable Marc Miller, Minister of Indigenous Services Canada
Day 2 – Wednesday December 5, 2018
- 10:00 a.m. – Honourable Carolyn Bennett, Minister of Crown Indigenous Relations
- 10:30 a.m. – Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Heritage Canada
- 11:00 a.m. – Honourable David Lametti, Minister of Justice & Attorney General of Canada
Media accreditation is required and media are encouraged to register in advance through the contacts listed below.
The Assembly of First Nations is the national organization representing First Nation citizens in Canada. Follow the #AFNSCA on Twitter @AFN_Updates.